Recipe Roundup: State-Of-Return Chicken Soup.
For this December day Recipe Roundup I’ve decided to share another winter favorite from cookbook ” Ancient Wisdom, Modern Kitchen ” (available here.) Authors Wang, Sheir and Ono note that this recipe is especially good for those who are having problems conceiving due to an irregular menstrual period. Adding several important Chinese herbs to this this variation of chicken soup influences its medicinal power. Dang Gui (sinensis root) and Huang Qi (astragalus root), Goji berries and Chinese red dates are herbs that build blood, supplement qi and regulate the period. All can be found at your local Asian supermarket or ordered online through good old Amazon (Dang Gui here, Astragalus Root here). The soup is a comfort food, not only because its tasty but also because your helping to bring your body back into balance. Enjoy!
2-3 lbs chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks or chopped from a whole chicken)
8 cups water
A pinch of salt
1 slice of fresh ginger, livered into 1/16-inch slices
1/3 oz Dang Gui
6 medium sized pieces of Astragalus
2 Tbs Goji berries
6 to 8 Chinese red dates (Hong Zao), seeded
4 to 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 Tbs rice wine
2 medium sized carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 Tbs soy sauce
2 green onions, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, roots and tough tips discarded
1. In a large soup pot, combine the chicken, water, and salt and bring to a boil. Skim off any excess oil or fat.
2. Tie the ginger, Dang Gui, and Astragalus together in a piece of cheese-cloth. This cloth will make it easter to remove the herbs later.
3. Add the cheesecloth bag of herbs, goji berries, Chinese red dates, garlic, and wine to the pot. Bring back to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for about 45 minutes. Skim off any excess oil or fat.
4. Add the carrots and celery to the soup and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Add the soy sauce to taste and garnish with the green onion.
3911 5th Ave, Suite 208, San Diego CA, 92103
©2022 By Aphrodite Fertility